Vietnamese girl Kyung-yung Nguyen is in hospital in Singapore for treatment after she claims she was sexually assaulted by two men, including a local man.
She said she was attacked by two unknown men who grabbed her breasts, then dragged her into a secluded area before raping her.
“I was screaming for help and I was crying for help, and they just laughed at me,” she told the Straits Times newspaper.
“The first time they did something to me, I screamed for them to stop, but they just kept doing it.”
Nguyen said she had bruises on her neck and legs, and was wearing a bandage on her face.
“They were grabbing me by the hair, but I didn’t know how much, or how badly, it hurt,” she said.
The Singaporean authorities said it was too early to confirm the claims.
The two men who raped Nguyen are now in custody.
“We have received a lot of information on the case and we are working on it to bring them to justice,” police officer-in-charge of the police station in the southern province of Johor, Suy Lee, told AFP news agency.
“At the moment, we don’t know the details.”
Police said Nguyen’s mother had complained to the police last week, after her daughter reported that she had been sexually assaulted on the day she was taken to the hospital.
Police said they had received a number of tips from the public, including the online Facebook group “I’m sorry I didn, I’m sorry you didn’t” and the Facebook group of Vietnamese girls, who said they too had been abused.
The group has more than 13,000 members.
The police said they were taking the case seriously.
“When you go out and interact with a group of people, they will be able to tell if someone is not trustworthy,” Suy said.
“And that’s what they have done to my daughter.”
A woman walks past a sign on the entrance of a restaurant, where a Vietnamese restaurant was attacked in front of the restaurant where a Chinese restaurant was also attacked, in Singapore on March 23, 2019.
The victim’s parents and the restaurant’s owner have said they would not comment on the allegations.
The case has prompted international criticism of Singapore, where the number of sex crimes against foreigners is on the rise.
Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has ordered an inquiry into the attack, saying it was a “horrendous crime”.
He said it had been reported to the Singapore Police Service, which is leading the investigation.
“This is a shocking crime,” Lee told reporters at a press conference.
“It’s very shocking that someone could do such a thing.”
The attack took place in January, the same month Singapore banned Chinese and Vietnamese tourists from visiting.
Singapore has been a major tourist destination in Asia for more than a century.
But there have been no similar incidents in the past decade.
Last year, a Chinese tourist was charged with raping a Vietnamese woman in an underground restaurant in Singapore’s commercial heart.
Police arrested the man, who denied the allegation.